Saturday, February 18, 2017

Jazz Doll To Be Introduced At NY Toy Show

I had the pleasure of meeting Jazz Jennings and much of her wonderful family back in 2012.  I have loved her ever since we trans elders first became aware of her amazing self thanks to a 20/20 Barbara Walters interview when she was just six.

Now Jazz is 16, and the trailblazing firsts for her just keep coming as the first out trans person to have a doll modeled on her.

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing and text
At the Toy Fair in New York that starts today and runs until February 21, the Tonner Doll Company will unveil a prototype of the doll modeled on our fave trans teen.   The dolls are set to do a limited production run starting in the late spring or the early summer

“Ever since I was little, I always loved playing with dolls,” Jazz said in an New York Times interview. “It was a great way to show my parents that I was a girl, because I could just express myself as I am. So this really resonates with me, because it was something so pivotal in my own journey.”

Image may contain: 1 person, standing
The company markets collectible dolls to adults, and the Jazz dolls will sell for $89.99.  Another version of the doll in a white party dress will sell for $100    A portion of the proceeds from the sales of the dolls will go toward helping trans kids

With the numbers of trans kids increasing every day, this is a BFD to have a doll that is modeled on a trans person
.

No comments: