Friday, February 10, 2017

I'm In Dallas For The Transgender Leadership Institute!

Image result for doubletree dfw north
After a quick drama free flight on American Eagle up to DFW, I'm  at my hotel in the DFW area suburb of Irving, Texas near DFW Airport and destroying the chocolate chip cookie I received during at check in.

If that city name sounds vaguely familiar to you, it's where that NFL franchise north of Houston used to play until they moved to their bigger playpen in Arlington and demolished Texas Stadium.

So why am I here?  Equality Texas in conjunction with the Transgender Law Center and Freedom For All Americans is conducting a Transgender Leadership Institute.

In a few hours we'll have a welcome networking reception from 5-7 PM in which I'll get to meet other Texans from across the state and then we're on our own until the TLI starts tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM.

The TLI will be an intense all day training that runs from 8-5 PM CST with a lunch break and Texas Lege briefing at 12:30 PM, then we get right back into it Sunday morning until 11:30 AM before we head back to our various corners of the Lone Star State.

It's timely in light of the fact that the Republican controlled Texas Legislature is now in session and we're fighting the Texas Transgender Oppression Act (what the rest of the world calls SB 6) and other unjust legislation or Texas GOP majority is trying oppress us with.

So yep, I'm here to learn, meet some other advocates from around the state and once the training is over for the day, chill.   I do need to find out after I destroy these DoubleTree cookies where the nearest 7 Eleven is to the hotel.

But looking forward to the Transgender Leadership Institute, and seeing everyone who is participating in it.

No comments: