Thursday, January 05, 2017

Rest In Power and Peace Mesha!

Image may contain: 1 person, selfie and closeup
We haven't even finished the first week of 2017 and I already have the sad duty of reporting that we have lost our first trans person of 2017 to anti-trans violence.

Mississippi transgender woman Mesha Caldwell is first reported trans killing of 201741 year old Mesha Caldwell was found shot  to death on Heindl Road near Old Yazoo Road in Madison County, just outside the Canton, Mississippi city limits yesterday. .

And as you probably guessed, the initial news reports misgendered Caldwell.  who worked as a beautician and hairstylist.

"I had a bad dream all week. I knew something was going to happen. I just didn't know it was going to be Mesha," said the victim's mother, Shirley Caldwell
The Madison County Sheriff's Department is investigating the case, which has been ruled as a homicide.  As of yet there are no persons of interest or suspects in this murder..

If I hear of any dates, times or location for a memorial service, I'll post it as soon as I receive that information.   I'll also be keeping track of any developments in this case until justice is served.

Rest in power and peace Mesha!   We won't rest until the person who took your life is brought to justice.

TransGriot Note: A candlelight vigil for Mesha is being held Friday night at 6:30 PM at Smith Park in Jackson 

No comments: