Friday, February 27, 2015

Leonard Nimoy Passes Away

Was saddened to hear that actor -director Leonard Nimoy, who any Trekkie can tell you played the iconic role of Spock on Star Trek died this morning at age 83 from complications resulting from COPD.

In addition to playing the iconic character and a long list of roles over his career, he directed Star Trek III: The Search For Spock , Star Trek IV : The Voyage Home and Three Men and A Baby, and lent his voice  to narrating the Ancient Mysteries TV series for its entire 1994-98 run

One of the sobriquets that was hurled at me that my tormentors quickly dropped was calling me Mr. Spock.  I embraced that like a badge of honor..

And Nimoy's half human-half Vulcan character struck a chord with biracial kids, when in 1968 a young mixed race female fan who identified herself as F.C. penned a letter expressing her frustrations about it.   

Here's the money paragraph in what Nimoy had to say to her in his lengthy response letter in which he explained how Spock dealt with a similar situation in his childhood.

"He said to himself: 'Not everyone will like me. But there will be those who will accept me just for what I am. I will develop myself to such a point of excellence, intelligence and brilliance that I can see through any problem and deal with any crisis. I will become such a master of my own abilities and career that there will be a place for me. People of all races will need me and not be able to do without me.' And that's just what he did. And when I see him standing there on the bridge of the Enterprise, facing danger and life-and-death problems so cooly and with so much intelligence, I'm sure he made the right decision."

I hope F.C took that advice to heart, lived long and prospered

You've lived long and prospered Mr. Nimoy and left a gigantic footprint not only in television history but also our imaginations.   Because of your iconic character, you inspired  kids of all ethnic backgrounds to look toward the heavens and imagine careers in the science and technology fields.

And you will be missed.

No comments: