Friday, April 13, 2012

Titica-Trans Angolan Music Rising Star

As I like to point out on this blog, transpeople do exist on the second largest continent on the planet. 

One of the other things I'm most fond of reminding people of that peruse this blog and every time I get a chance to utter the words is  is if transpeople are given a chance, we can do anything we set our minds to do and excel at it.

Meet 25 year old Titica, who is a rising star in the Angolan music genre called kuduro, which is a fusion of rap and techno music. 

She was named the best kuduro artist of 2011, is a regular on radio and television there, has performed at a Divas concert in front of Angolan president Jose Eduardo dos Santos and will be embarking on an international tour with stops in Portugal, the UK and the United States.

But as she mentioned in a BBC interview, her newfound success hasn't been easy.  

"I've been stoned, I've been beaten, and there is a lot of prejudice against me, a lot of people show that. There is a lot of taboo," she said.  





But at the same time, in heavily Catholic Angola, she's managed to cultivate a fan base that only cares about her music, not her trans status. 

And that's the way it should be.   I'll have to check her out when she comes to Houston to perform at the Angolan consulate.


No comments: