Thursday, April 19, 2012

Condoleezza For VP?

About two months ago Renee of Womanist Musings and I were having a conversation about the 2012 presidential race, in which we are as of today 200 days from Election Day.

We were discussing the jacked up Republican primary, agreed that Mitt Romney would probably be their nominee and then started musing about who would be his vice presidential pick. 

One of the names Renee mentioned was Condoleezza Rice, the former Secretary of State in the GW Bush misadminiistration.  While it was an intriguing idea as she laid out the case for why he'd do it, I dismissed it at the time.  I told her that if Condi were going to run for office, it might be for one of the US senate seats in California because the Republicans in that state want to defeat Sen. Barbara Boxer (and Sen Dianne Feinstein if she doesn't retire) in the worst way.  If current Cali Attorney General Kamala Harris decided to run for the US Senate or the governor's chair they would want her as a counterbalance to that..   

I also opined during our political conversation that if Mitt was going to take a chance on a non-white VP pick, it would probably be a Latino like Sen. Marco Rubio who the Tea Klux Klan likes since he is trailing badly with Latino voters and has to close that gap ASAP to have any chance of winning.

Well, my favorite Canuck may be on to something.   While I was perusing Lawrence O'Donnell's The Last Word show on MSNBC they talked about the Veepstakes and who peeps would like to see as the VP nominee.  Interestingly enough,  the person topping a CNN poll was survey says, Condoleezza Rice. 
 
So my Timmy's Icecap loving homegirl was ahead of the political curve (as usual).  But before you tell me I told you so Renee, Condi says she isn't interested in the job.   

But if she does take it, your next icecap is on me.

No comments: