Sunday, April 22, 2012

Chilling With My H-Town Chicago Cousins

Yesterday was my cousin Karen's birthday (Happy birthday cuz!), and my uncle, grandmother and I made the crosstown trek to Alief to hang out with them and attend her surprise birthday party.

One of the cool things about my cousin in my not so humble opinion is that in addition to being one smart lady time has been very good to her.  

Many of her friends, her husband and a few more of my Chitown relatives also moved down here in the early 80's.  They either settled in the Alief area,.other parts of H-town or the nearby Fort Bend County exurbs.   

So when they have events like this party, it feels like the South Side made its way down to the Lone Star State.   Since I didn't have to play designated driver, I was going to not only socialize but take the opportunity to within reason get my grub and drink on.

It was wonderful finding out that my cousin Ivory flew down from Chicago to surprise her mom. I got to see her and spend some time chatting with her before she heads back to college later today. 

We also had a bunch of Tauruses in my aunt's house yesterday, too
.
The other cool thing about having a bunch of Chicago folks in a room is once they sort out who is from the North Side, West Side or South Side and finish extolling the virtues of (or ragging on) that person's side of town and the party gets going, somebody is going to either pull out a deck of cards and the obligatory bid whist game will break out or some song will get played that triggers an outbreak of Chicago Stepping..

So as you probably guessed I had a wonderful time, got to spend some quality time with my cousins, and looking forward to the next time I can do so.

.

No comments: