Friday, January 20, 2012

January 20, 2013

That date will be my niece's 13th birthday and my other niece will be 19 months old. It will also be the day that we either inaugurate the 44th president of the United States Barack Hussein Obama II for his second term or (arrgh) the 45th president of the United States who will be a Republifool hostile to my community and others I interact and intersect with.

And right now I'm nervous about the prospect of that happening.

It is going to be a long, agonizing, nerve jangling countdown to November 6, and I predict a nasty fall election campaign filled with overt and covert racism coming from the Republicans and the Tea Klux Klan.

No point in me stressing myself out, it's just January.   But I'm keenly aware how critical this election is going to be to the future direction of this country, the trans community forward momentum on our human rights issues in our nation and  around the world.

I'm also painfully aware of how critical this election is to my nieces future.

In the meantime, on this date, let me just think back to January 20, 2009 when over a million people crowded The Mall on a sunny but cold Washington DC day to watch a skinny kid from Hawaii with a funny name become the president of the United States.



I'm ready to what needs to be done legally to make it happen again.


No comments: