Monday, February 14, 2011

Baylor and Texas A&M-The Rematch

We're getting closer to what we call in the States March Madness, AKA the NCAA Tournament.

It's the month long orgy of basketball games starting in March after Conference Championship Weekend and Selection Sunday and Monday that eventually lead to the Final Four and the crowning of the NCAA men's and women's national basketball champions.

The men's tournament will be held in Houston, and the women's NCAA tournament will be held in Indianapolis this year.   I will be continuing my TransGriot tradition of picking my men's and women's tournament brackets and posting them on the blog.

One thing I'm very happy to see this season is more women's collegiate games being televised than ever not only on the networks, but cable networks as well.    ESPN has the television rights to the NCAA women's tournament, and it's about time they showed more love to the women's game. 

Yesterday I had the pleasure of watching my alma mater yesterday beat E. Carolina 77-60 to go 20-4 on the season, stay unbeaten in Conference USA and on track to win the conference championship and make the NCAA women's tournament for the first time since 2003.

But y'all know how much basketball love I have for my Houston homegirl Brittney Griner and her Baylor Lady Bears.   They are still number one in the nation, have only the loss to UConn on their record and are unbeaten so far in Big 12 play.

The 21-1 Lady Bears get a nationally televised rematch in Waco with Big 12 leading scorer Danielle Adams and the 21-2 number 5 ranked Texas A&M Aggies.who they beat in College Station 63-60 a few weeks ago.    .

“I made some stupid fouls in the first game, but I know we can beat them, and so does everyone else,”  said Adams, who is coming into this showdown fresh.off a school record 40 point effort in a blowout of Kansas. 

It will be a battle.   The Lady Bears are unbeaten at home this season and one of their victims was the now number 4 ranked Tennessee Lady Vols.   Baylor wants to protect their house, especially against their old rivals.

Of course Danielle Adams and crew would love nothing better than to beat Baylor at the Ferrell Center on national television, hand them their first conference loss and knock them out of the number one spot in the polls..      .    

So I've got my chocolate and I'll be more than ready for the second installment of the basketball Battle of the Brazos that tips off at 8 PM CST..

Should be fun.




No comments: