Monday, September 06, 2010

SCC 2010

In a few hours, the 20th anniversary edition on one of my fave trans conferences will begin down in the A-T-L. Or more precisely, the A-T-L 'burbs.

It's Southern Comfort Conference time once again, the largest trans themed conference in the United States and possibly the world.

It's happening from today through September 12, but unfortunately due to a previous commitment in Northampton, I won't be there. I was invited by Autumn and Pam to be part of their Friday 'New Media In Colorful Diversity' panel discussion, but unfortunately will be traveling that day. Ironically my Delta flight has me changing planes that weekend in Atlanta.

Well, there's next year. If SCC wants me, maybe they could have the TransGriot speak at one of the dinners or luncheons, hint hint.

Speaking of the seminars, it's one of the things I've always loved about SCC. They have strived to make them informative and give you a lot of seminar track choices. They also include opportunities to do off site activities that have included visiting Atlanta institutions such as the World of Coca-Cola and CNN headquarters.

Frankly, I'd like to see them add trips to the King Center and the Carter Presidential Center in town as well. Perhaps those of you contemplating being on the 2011 SCC planning committee can suggest that.

My first SCC was in 1999 and it was a memorable one. I met Dawn, Marisa Richmond and much of the legendary trans leadership at the time and returned in 2000 since it was the site for one of our NTAC face to face board meetings.

The 2000 SCC happened to be the 10th anniversary event and the last one they held at the old hotel in the Buckhead area. It also had the then record POC attendance of 27 people.

My last SCC I attended was in 2004. Got old counting the African descended trans people in attendance on one hand, but I do have to point out since then they've been diligent about and managed to get SCC POC attendance into the double digit range.

So congratulations SCC on making it to 20 years. Here's hoping that the conference continues to grow and prosper and get more diverse.

No comments: