Sunday, September 05, 2010

Regrets? Not About Transition

There are some things I have regrets about. Not doing certain things in high school and college, decisions made in relationships that went awry and one close friendship that imploded in the early 90's.

But one thing I have not regretted is pulling the trigger on transition. As a matter of fact the only regret I have about it is that I didn't do it soon enough.

Life since transition has been challenging at times, but I can't say it's been boring or dull. I know I'm at peace finally having mind and body match up to where I can comfortably and stylishly at times maneuver through my day and the world at large. I like my ongoing evolution toward becoming a phenomenal woman of trans experience.

I just hope and pray that we finally get the love and acceptance we deserve as fellow human beings, an the assaults on our civil rights for political purposes end in my lifetime.

Well, I can dream about that, can't I?

Former First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt once stated,“There is nothing to regret - either for those who go or for those who are left behind.”

In the end, people only regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have, and the decisions we waited too long to make. Regrets are personalized and vary from from person to person.

That quote is ote I try to remember every time my mind starts trying to drift to replaying the woulda. coulda, shouda aspects of my life. Unless somebody parks a time machine in the driveway that enables me to go back to the 70's and relive various parts of my life, it's over.

All I can do is remember the lessons I was taught during those various time periods, focus on being the best person I can be at this juncture in my life now and in whatever remaining time I have left on planet Earth, and move on.

No comments: