Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Beyonce, If The Feminists Don't Want You, We Womanists Do

"I think I am a feminist, in a way. It's not something I consciously decided I was going to be; perhaps it's because I grew up in a singing group with other women, and that was so helpful to me."

"It kept me out of so much trouble and out of bad relationships. My friendships with my girls are just so much a part of me that there are things I am never going to do that would upset that bond. I never want to betray that friendship, because I love being a woman and I love being a friend to other women." Beyonce, Daily Mail UK magazine, August 14, 2010


While the feminist blogosphere was harrumphing and twisting itself into philosophical and academic argument knots trying to 'prove' why Beyonce Giselle Knowles-Carter wasn't one of then, feminists were once again demonstrating for the whole world to see why women of color left the movement behind decades ago.

Once again, they have displayed their utter cluelessness in not seizing an opportunity to bring the sorely needed fresh blood and perspectives of young women of color into their movement.

So to my sistah Houstonian, I have a proposition for you.

Since it's obvious that the feminists don't want you in their ranks, we womanists would like to humbly extend an invitation for you to consider yourself one of us.

We would be proud to have you in our ranks since it is inclusive of ALL women, including this chocolate trans one.

As you check out what our founding mother Alice Walker has written on the subject, you will find that womanism fits where you are in your feminine journey. It is inclusive, welcoming and has a better approach to race, class and other intersectional issues that affect women of color.

It is light years better when it comes to trans issues moreso than a movement that spent much bandwith trying to come up with excuse after excuse why you weren't part of it.

Beyonce, let's get real for a moment. Would you want to be part of a movement that Sarah Palin claims membership in and spends more time criticizing the FLOTUS than it does defending her and other women of color from right wing attacks?

We womanists are keenly aware of the fact that you have carried yourself with class and dignity while having an intensely bright spotlight of media attention on you. If they had bothered to check into your background, they would know like I do that you and your sister Solange grew up watching your mother Tina run a highly successful business that put you in early contact with many power sisters in H-town.

We know that young tween and teen sisters look up to you as a role model, and the second you uttered the words 'I'm a womanist', would send them scurrying off to Google to look up the word.

Beyonce, we'd love to and would be honored to have you consider yourself a womanist.

Feminists have made it clear in some quarters they don't want you, and that's their myopic and short sighted loss

No comments: