Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A Transsistah's Secret-Being Comfortable In Your Own Skin

Being comfortable in your own skin is one of the often overlooked major keys to a happy and successful transition.

We catch so much flak as African descended transpeople from many directions that it can be a struggle at time just to summon the courage to be yourself, much less have the rock solid faith and confidence in yourself that being a Black transwoman requires.

Even the Phenomenal Transwoman at time has those days where I'm put in a situation or two that makes me feel insecure, or when I get out and about in the public eye a comment that may or may not be directed at me has me questioning what the mirror told me when I stepped out of the house that day.

The mirror doesn't lie, and neither are our heads, hearts and the people in our friendship circles who truly love us when they tell us we are the beautiful women we see reflected in the image staring back at us.

We have to take that, feed upon it, become confident and believe that we are.

One you do that, you're taking the first steps toward becoming confidently comfortable in your emerging femininity and by extension, comfortable in your own skin.

No comments: