Monday, September 22, 2008

Oh Oh Oh-Love The Tom Joyner Morning Show


When my alarm clock radio turns on, Magic 101.3 is the local station it's tuned to. In addition to hearing my fave classic and current R&B songs, from 6-10 AM I join 11 million African-Americans in getting my early morning news, laughs, commentary and information from radio hall of famer Tom Joyner and crew.

Tom Joyner is a radio legend and icon in our community. He's an unabashed HBCU supporter who puts his money where his heart is with his foundation that sends and keeps African-American kids in HBCU's. The Fantastic Voyage cruise that funds the foundation is always sold out and it's one of the things the TransGriot wants to experience. The Tom Joyner Family Reunion in Orlando on Labor Day weekend is fast becoming a must attend event in Orlando.

And this website, BlackAmericaweb.com, is where I and other African-Americans can peruse commentary on various issues geared toward our community. Every now and then I'll paste some of those commentaries to this blog since I feel you need to know what my America is thinking and feeling.

The other cool thing about it is that prominent African-Americans also pop in from time to time to talk about various issues. Tom was also an early and proud supporter of Sen. Barack Obama.

As the child of a retired radio professional, I know how important Black radio has been and still is to the advancement of my people. Dr. King even commented that without Black radio and black deejays, the Civil Rights Movement of the 50's and 60;s wouldn't have happened. Tom Joyner and Cathy Hughes have been the driving forces toward carrying that proud legacy forward into the 21st century.

And me and 11 million other African-Americans enjoy every entertaining minute of it.

No comments: