Sunday, August 20, 2006

The Drive For Five Just Developed A Flat Tire



Before the WNBA playoffs started I was happy to read that the Comets beat Seattle in their final game of the season to clinch the Number 3 Western Conference playoff seed and a series with the defending champion Sacramento Monarchs.

They'd beaten the Monarchs in three out of four games this season. I felt they had a better chance of making it to the WNBA Finals on that side of the bracket than playing the regular season Western Champion LA Sparks.

After watching those games, I think I would've rather taken my chances with the Sparks. The Monarchs beat down my beloved Comets 93-78 and 92-64 to sweep the series and move on to the Western Conference finals versus either LA or Seattle Tuesday night. It'll be Detroit vs. Connecticut in the Eastern Conference Finals. They eliminated their respective opponents the Washington Mystics and Indiana Fever to advance. It also means that with the Comets elimination Dawn Staley has played her last WNBA game.

I love my girls, but Tina and Sheryl need some help. In my opinion the Comets must get younger and more athletic in order to compete with the Sacramentos of the WNBA. They need a glass-cleaning power forward to help Tina out, an attacking point guard who can dish and create her own shot when necessary to take the load off of Sheryl and a center who can beat up on the Yolanda Griffiths, Lisa Leslies and Lauren Jacksons you'll face in the Western Conference.

While they're at it, let's see if we can get another shooting guard or forward to give opposing WNBA teams something else to worry about. And just for good measure, can somebody get Michelle Snow to stop playing so passively and be the dominating center she has the talent to become? Girlfriend has the ability to dunk on peeps, so she needs to start using that 6'5" height advantage and start attacking the rim.

But then again I'm just a fan and a former season ticket holder, not the GM of the Comets. But I'd be happy to take that job and rebuild the dynasty. ;)

No comments: