Friday, February 10, 2006

Houston Blues












An MKR Poem

I got the 'I miss Houston' blues
Leaving was an option I didn't wanna choose
Ever since I moved away
I miss my hometown more every day

This Is It and Pappadeaux's
Blue Bell ice cream tickling my nose
Chocolate Factory at the Galleria, too
Miss chowing down on real barbecue

Rolling down 45 to Galveston Bay
Let the Gulf breeze take my troubles away
Spirit shouldn't be left in the lurch
Say your prayers at your favorite neighborhood church

Astros, Rockets, Texans, Comets
Bud Adams Oilers made me wanna vomit
When he betrayed loyal fans like me
And moved the team to Tennessee

Archie Bell, Geto Boys, children of Destiny
Making Houston music history
The soundtracks of my Houston days
Played on Majic, KCOH and KYOK

JJ, JY, James Madison
Soulful high school bands playing with passion
They rocked the Dome so give 'em their due
The Ocean of Soul from TSU

3rd Ward, the Nickel, Hiram Clarke
What up to the peeps in South Park
Alief, Sunnyside, Mo City, hey!
Montrose flipped the rainbow way

Mattress Mac saving me money
You know I'm fiending for the hometown, honey
Just before I get ready to snooze
I miss Marrrrrrrrrrvinnnn Zindler
Eyyyyyyyeewitness News

So I'm closing out this long lament
About the city where my childhood was spent
Goodbye old friend, see 'ya around
On my next sojourn to mighty H-Town.

No comments: